How Do I Block Unwanted E-mail?
You can block an e-mail using spam filters. There are many definitions of spam, but one particularly useful one is the following:
Spam is the electronic version of junk mail, and has been around since the Internet was created. E-mail filters are a way of filtering your e-mail to remove unwanted mail based on a variety of criteria. You can block any sort of e-mail, not just mail of a commercial nature. Blocked mail can be deleted automatically or sent to another e-mail address or script. These filters are quite flexible - some examples are provided after the instruction on how to add a spam filter below. All filters are cumulative.
To add an e-mail filter:
- Click on the E-mail Filtering link in the Mail area.
- Click on the Add Filter link.
- Click on the required header field in the first drop-down list. These are the various fields in any e-mail message.
- Click on the required filter action in the second drop-down list. This
action will act on the text entered in the third field.
- Equals - match the text exactly (whole words only). "Credit" will block "Credit".
- matches regex - matches the text based on regular expression (regex) rules. Regular expressions are a powerful but complex area. You do not need to use regular expression filters for most circumstances.
- Contains - match the specified text in any circumstance. "porn" will block "porn" and "pornography".
- begins with - match the specified text when it is the beginning of a word. "Porn" will block "porn" and "pornography" but not "teenporn".
- Enter the filter text in the third field. This text is case sensitive.
- Enter the destination for the filtered e-mail in the Destination field.
There are three separate types of destination:
- Destroy the e-mail - Enter Discard in the field.
- Redirect to another address - Enter the e-mail address to which to redirect the e-mail.
- Redirect to a script - Enter the full script path on the machine that hosts your web site.
- Click on the Activate button.
- To redirect all e-mail from "firstname.lastname@example.org", enter: From, equals, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
- To delete all e-mail from paradise.net, enter: From, contains, paradise.net, Discard
- To delete all references to pornography, enter: Any Header, contains, porn, Discard
- To discard all e-mail that Spam Assassin has marked as spam, enter: SpamAssassin Spam Header, begins with, yes, Discard
Which Folder Do I Use?
How Do I View My Site?
All About FTP
All About Using File Manager
How Do I Backup My Site?
How Do I Edit an Email Account?
Setting Your Default Email Address
How Do I Access Webmail?
How Do I Change My Email Password?
How Do I Set Up Outlook to Pick up Mail?
I receive an error when I try to send email How Do I Create an Autoresponder?
How Do I Block Unwanted Email?
How Do I Create an Email Alias/Forwarder?
How Do I Create a Mailing List?
How Do I Use Spam Assassin?
About Your Raw Access Logs
About the Raw Access Log Manager
How Do I Install Frontpage Extensions?
About Cron Jobs
What are MIME Types?
What are Apache Handlers?
How Do I Manage OpenPGP Keys?
About the Index Manager
About the IP Deny Manager
How Do I Create Custom Error Pages?